Wednesday, April 20, 2016

My Brother's Keeper

I am very fortunate and blessed to be a part of My Brother's Keeper in Fort Worth ISD. The My Brother's Keeper initiative was started by President Obama in February 2014. President Barack Obama launched “My Brother’s Keeper” (MBK), in a call to action to address persistent opportunity gaps facing boys and young men of color and ensure all young people can reach their full potential. The President’s vision found its roots in the idea that “my neighbor’s child is my child – that each of us has an obligation to give every child the same chance this country gave so many of us.”

In March of 2014, the FWISD Board of Education pledged in collaboration with the Council of Great City Schools to address specific areas related to achievement for young men of color. FWISD held a community summit, developed a task force, and has worked with the young men in all of our high schools in developing our young men as leaders in our schools and communities.

Here is a link to President's Obama video encouraging you to be a mentor as he, our country, FWISD, and our communities continue to work with our young men.


No comments:

Post a Comment